This girlish, sparkly blend of merino and silk was perfect to perk me up! I took it out into the natural light, unbraided the fibre, and studied the ways the colours worked together.
The colours look beautiful all mashed together, but I thought the final yarn would be more dramatic if I keep the different shades of pink and white separate.
So I broke the fibre into lengths that reflected the final gradient I would like to have in my yarn... light pink ---> white ---> rose.
And with that, I started spinning!
Now, I wanted to create a laceweight 2 ply yarn. In order to do this, I spun all the light pink fibre onto two separate bobbins.
Then I plied those together right away onto third bobbin, Andean plying when I ran out of one bobbin's worth of single.
When I had plied all the light pink together, I took that bobbin off my wheel, and saved my "twist" in the yarn by wrapping it around a paperclip - the twist didn't go everywhere, and I never lost the end!
Then I continued spinning down the gradient... I would try to spin an equal amount of one shade of colour onto two bobbins, then join it to my plying bobbin.
It took about a week to complete all 110g of fibre. After I washed and finished the yarn, I was extremely happy with the results! You can see in the photos below how the colours stayed true to themselves within the skein. I think I am going to knit a small lace shawl with this yarn that will show off the gradual transition from pink to white to rose.
Also! Goat update! I have decided what pattern I am going to knit with some of my mountain goat yarn! I am in love with the coats from the book 'Knit, Swirl'! I plan on making a nice long, big jacket with an off-centered body. Don't worry, I'll post pics when I get around to casting on :D